Friday, November 17, 2006


Not in the spirit! Unlike my lovely daughter inlaw, ( alittlebitofus@blogspot.com )I am not yet in the Christmas spirit. For one thing there is not any snow out side, which does not matter to me as I'm from B.C. where we often had green Christmas'. I have not been in any stores lately, where they are playing carols. I have been just working and at home. Maybe if I go shopping it will get me in the mood. Maybe I need to get out my nativity set. Maybe it's just too early. I don't know. Right now I don't feel like putting up a tree this year. But as I'm typing I have suddenly gotten the desire to get out a few of my Christmas bears and ornaments. Maybe that's it. I just need to talk about it more. I must admit that it has been harder to get in the Christmas mood since the kids have left home. I'm at a point in my life where I'm having to make new Christmas traditions since the old ones are no more. Since the kids grew up, they have started their own traditions. I remember when the kids were little we would set up the tree together. One year we went to a tree farm on Vancouver Island and got to cut down our own tree. We with friends and when we got our trees we went back and had munchies and hot chocolate. Every year we made it a point to drive around and look at the pretty lights. We would make an evening of it. We would also go to dinner and a holiday movie as a family every Christmas time. So I guess I feel at a loss as what to do. I am very happy that my children are starting their own traditions. I encourage it. These things are very important. I am now faced with having to make new Christmas traditions. I will have to think on that.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Wanda, I strongly suggest that you take out the book Romancing the Ordinary from your library. I own it myself. It makes everything seem wonderous. It is by Sarah Ban Breathnach. I am sure you will love it. It is better if you own it. I am sure it is not too expensive by now.

granniepat said...

Wandi start a different tradition. take abby for a day and have her help you decortate your tree and make cookies with her or make a small graham wafer ginger bread house with all the decorations. We will lend you our digital camra so you can take pictures. Do you have a picture of a gingerbread house?
call it Grandma's Christmas with Grandchildren Day.Making many memories.
I too have a hard time putting up Christmas tree etc. It shows we always did things for our kids. Turn it arond and do it for you .

granniepat said...

I love the tree on your blog

Anonymous said...

My Mom started the same tradition your Mom suggested. Every year she has all the grandchildren(5 in total)over for the night,(which now even includes the girl/boy friends)to help set up her tree. Some years they have gone to a movie or gone around and looked at christmas lights and had supper together. It kinda started when we needed babysitters for our christmas partys, so that the night was special for them as well. And it really helps get their christmas mood going.

Muhd Imran said...

I am sure your children will make you part of their Christmas tradition as you will make them part of your new one.

The more family the merrier. It will be your combined family tradition instead that all of you will enjoy.

It may be too early, but I wish to be the first one to greet you... Merry Christmas!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I too wasn't in the Christmas spirit. But I thought of putting up the Christmas Tree, the nativity and some christmas decors indoors for my grandsons and well...little did I know that I was having the spirit and thought of putting decors outdoors too.
Thanks for visiting. Miss all of you too but really am too busy. At least now, was able to get hold of the computer. My son and his family went out so I had the computer to myself.

Muhd Imran said...

Happy Thanksgiving!