Sunday, June 17, 2007




I was just recently reminded of a time in my childhood when I first loved to sing. I watched a video of a girl named Conny who sang, "Some where over the rainbow." It was gorgeous. She was 6 years old when she sang that. I remember when my family took a trip to Tulsa Oklahoma. We went by train. On our way back home to Canada, after many set backs( a transit strike and many hours waiting at train stations and bus stops) we finally made it home. As the train was nearing our Canadian destination, I remember looking out the window and I started to sing the song, " Born Free." It was 1966 and the movie "Born Free" had just been released in the movie theaters. I had not yet seen it as I was only 7 years old. I had only heard the song on the radio. I thought it was such a beautiful song. It touched my heart at such a young age. So as our train pulled in to the station in Canada , I remember singing Born Free, as free as the wind blows..... I think it was then that I knew that I loved music. I am not a musician or a song writer, but I know that music touches me deep to the core. Music can make me burst into tears without notice. It only takes a few words of a song and I am touched deep within my soul. Before you know it I can be crying like a baby. I think music is fantastic. I'm all for promoting music in schools . What a fantastic way for young people to express them selves.

4 comments:

Inside our hands, outside our hearts said...

Isn't it a shame that schools are closing these programs? I love the idea of the kids getting to play sports, but there are other activities that expand them not only academically, but emotionally.

Nice memory.

Carol said...

Hi Wandi,
It sounds like you discovered patriotism as well.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

Well, as you went to Tulsa in 1966, I was born that year in Stillwater, OK. Soon after, I lived in Tulsa. What a small world. :)

Muhd Imran said...

You're a sentimental soul... and good music feeds it wonderfully.

Have a great week ahead.